A secondary logo is a graphic, image, mark, stylized text or symbol other than the SIU wordmark, lettermark or unit identifier, that is used to identify, represent, advertise or promote a department, unit, college, office, center or other university entity. Excluded from this definition are event logos as defined elsewhere in this policy.
The use of logos other than the university's wordmark and lettermark (often called secondary logos) is prohibited.
There are instances, however, when university departments would like to use a symbol, mark, picture, custom text or design to promote an event, initiated within the university and of limited duration. In these instances, these departments are allowed to use an event logo.
An event logo is any symbol, mark, picture, custom text or design that is used to promote an event of limited duration.
To be considered an event logo and not a prohibited secondary logo, the logo must adhere to the following rules:
1) The event logo must include a word or phrase that conveys to the audience that it is of limited duration. This would include, but is not limited to, words such as series, symposium, festival, conference, party, open house, or meeting.
2) The item or media on which the event logo is placed must include a specific date, month or year to convey to the audience that it is of limited duration.
3) The event logo must include one of the following to convey to the audience that it is a Southern Illinois University Carbondale event:
- SIU Carbondale or the phrase Southern Illinois University Carbondale must be in the logo itself; OR
- SIU Carbondale or the phrase Southern Illinois University Carbondale across the top or the bottom or with the phrase presented by, brought to you by, a program of or similar language; OR
- a campus identifier or the universitys wordmark of equal or larger size must appear on the item where the logo appears.
4) If the event logo appears in a printed advertisement, publication, poster, post card or any form of offset or web press printing, a campus identifier or the universitys wordmark must also be present. With written approval from University Communications and Marketing, the SIU lettermark may be substituted.
In the case of contracted services that have external event logos (for example: musical concerts, theater performances, circus shows, and others), the universitys wordmark, or the words Southern Illinois University Carbondale must be present somewhere on the promotional media.
Inquiries concerning these guidelines should be directed to the University Communications and Marketing department. All event logos must be pre-approved by University Communications and Marketing. Submissions can be sent to your account executive.